Tuesday 12 April 2016

BBQ Mackerel With Herby Mash

Fish is something we try and eat once a week but that is not always easy to achieve.  When we choose fish we try and choose fish that is sustainable, local and not too expensive.

This week our local fish monger had fresh blue mackerel at $12 kg.  From what I can work out blue mackerel is considered a sustainable fish species but I have read differing reports about the way they are caught which may determine the environmental impact the fishing of them has.

I really like mackerel and they are very good for you with a high omega 3 content.  Because it is a strong flavoured oily fish it goes well with other strong flavours like chilli that would over power other types of fish.

For our dinner I gutted the fish and removed the head then sliced along the fillet down to the spine.  I made up a mix of lemon zest, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper then rubbed this over the fish and added some lemon the the cavity.  I wrapped the fish in foil and we cooked on the BBQ for 5 mins on each side which was perfect.



I served the fish up with Herby mash.  To make the mash I boiled the potatoes along with 3 cloves of garlic.  While they were cooking  I made up a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and chopped parsley.  Once the potatoes were cooked I mashed them and then stirred through 90% the oil mix instead of the standard butter and milk that we normally use for making mash.  The rest of the mix was spooned over the cooked fish.



It was a hit with Hubby and we will do it again with the other 2 mackerel that I froze.

Do you like mackerel?  How do you cook it?

2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment