Friday 4 April 2014

Slow Living Monthly Link Up March 2014

Linking up with Christine again this month and this month seems to have been quite busy.

Nourish -Make and bake as much as possible from scratch. Ditch over packaged, over processed convenience foods and opt for 'real' food instead.
All of our meals were cooked from scratch this month and I also did some cooking for my brother in law and sister in law who just had their first baby.  While it was nothing fancy it as wholesome and nourishing food and I know they appreciated it.

Self Crusting Quiche

Banana Berry Bread

Prepare - Stockpile and preserve. Freeze extra meals or excess garden/market produce. Bottle/can, dehydrate or pickle foods to enjoy when they are not in season.
Dumplings have been a bit of a hit at our place recently and they also freeze really well so it is worth making them in large batches and freezing them so you have a very quick meal to call on.  From frozen they only take 12 minutes in boiling water and when you have had a long day they are ideal.




Reduce - Cut down on household waste by re-using, re-purposing and repairing.

One of our local  churches had a garage sale to raise money for a local charity so we were able to get rid of a heap of things and we later heard some of the items had sold straight away.

Green Start (or continue!) using homemade cleaners, body products and basic herbal remedies. The options are endless, the savings huge and the health benefits enormous.

Just the usual happening on this front.

Grow plant/harvest. What's growing this month? What's being eaten from the garden?
The garden is pretty bare at the moment but I have managed to get some seeds planted and garlic in.  The ground was hard like concrete but when I heard there was rain coming I got out there and loosened it as best I could then added lots of compost.  Thankfully the weather forecast was correct and we ended up with over 200 mm.  This made the soil lovely and loose so I dug in the compost and got the seeds in the ground.  I still have another garden bed to waiting to be planted out but I feel good that at least there is something in the ground.

Create - To fill a need or feed the soul. Create for ourselves or for others.
I have picked up the crochet needle again and am finally learning to read a pattern.  My first attempt was to make a set of baby booties for my new nephew by by the time I had finished the first one it was big enough for a four year old.  Oh well practice makes perfect.  Sorry no photos as I am currently away from home without a camera.

Discover Feed the mind by reading texts relevant to current interests.
I have been reading lots of fictional books this month.  I sorted out my book shelf the other day and put all of the books that I had not read on one shelf so now I am just working my way through them and then passing them on tho the Op Shop.

Enhance Community
Planning for this years Classic Car Show is well under way again and will be keeping me busy for many months to come. Other than this I have taken a step back this year as I have other things I need to dedicate my time to.

Enjoy - Life! Embrace moments with friends and family. Marking the seasons, celebrations and new arrivals are all cause for enjoyment.
My bother in law and sister in law have had their first baby and he is lovely (not that I am biased). It is such a lovely thing to have a new baby in the family.

Hubby and our Nephew


What have you been up to?

8 comments:

  1. That quiche looks delicious!
    Good luck with the crochet, my first ever pair of baby boots came out huge too - I followed a pattern but used much thicker yarn thinking they would just come out chunkier, didn't realize I also had to adjust the stitch count!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to welcome a new baby into the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to read about how people in different parts of the world garden we have the opposite problem to you at the moment the ground is saturated here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, gardening without water is no fun, is it? But it certainly makes you appreciate every drop. We have had a dry summer here in Tassie too, but of course we don't have the heat that dries everything out like Qld does.
    New babies are always so special aren't they? Such a lovely time, that babymoon!
    And you might want to check on your Slow Living link - you have linked it to your February post by mistake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fiona, I've nominated you over on my blog for a Sunshine Award (just highlighting blogs you like to read). Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 200ml! It never rains, but it pours. Good wholesome food is the best kind in my mind. I love simple food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quiche looks mouthwatering! Crocheting is a re-visit to an old skill for me as well - good luck - I am having a very good time with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the tiny new family member! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment