Monday 22 September 2014

The Weekend Kitchen

Over the weekend we were quite busy but I did have time to make another batch of Coriander and Macadamia Nut Pesto (my favourite kind of pesto)which we have been eating a lot of over the last few weeks.

It is getting too hot here to grow coriander in the garden and from now on I will have to grow it in the shade house otherwise it just bolts to seed.  So with this in mind I have been making lots of pesto and if I can keep it away from Hubby I will even get to freeze some.


I kind of make this recipe up as I go along as sometimes it needs adjusting depending on if the coriander has gone a bit bitter from being old and you can reduce the garlic if you don't like a big hit.  You can substitute the coriander for parsley, basil, mint or rocket in full or use a combination of them.  You can also change the type of nuts you use and add chilli for some heat if you like.  Pesto should always be made to your taste but this is the basic recipe I follow.

Coriander Pesto

4 Cups of Coriander
1 Cup of Macadamia Nuts
2 Cloves of Garlic
3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan
1 1/2 Cups of Olive Oil (Plus extra to cover)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place the coriander, nuts, garlic and parmesan in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped stopping to scrape down the sides a few times.  Then with the motor running add the salt and pepper and then the oil in a steady stream and mix to a paste.
Pack into jars or containers and top with a layer of olive oil before sealing and freezing or refrigerating.

Do you make pesto?  What is your favourite kind?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'll have to try this out. I usually make standard pesto with basil and roasted walnuts with garlic, cheese and olive oil, but i'd love to try something a little different. This might be tomorrow night's dinner! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe, Fiona. We have three macadamia nut trees here so I will give it a try. I have to fight the cockatoos for the nuts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that just sounds yummy! Thanks for recipe. I use to go on TASTE or other recipe sites, now i just look at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever made pesto with basil, I didn't know I could use coriander, mine is starting to bolt too....

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment