Wednesday 10 June 2015

Where Does Your Food Come From?

So where does your food come from?
Do you know?
Do you care?

Way back in 2011 I posted about buying local and how I am a label reader and I choose what I buy based on where a product comes from and where it is produced.
We are lucky to have our own meat and a decent veggie garden.  We also have a fantastic green grocer who stocks almost entirely Australian grown produce along with local cheeses, small goods and deli items.  
But there are still items that we buy and I like to know how far it has traveled to get to me, if it is fair trade.  
I also try and avoid some products, from countries like China and Vietnam, where I have concerns that the air pollution, farming methods and environmental impacts do not meet my ethics.
I also try and avoid some ingredients like palm oil, regardless of if it is claimed to be sustainable.

Sadly the labeling in Australia does not always make this easy.

However this may be set to change with the government undertaking a consultation process in to Country of Origin Labeling.  This consultation involves a community survey to find out what the public want so please take the time (less than 5 minutes) to complete the survey and let the government know how you feel.

You can also visit the below websites to read up on what else relating to food is going on in Australia

Australian Made Website 
- Lots of information about reasons to buy Australian made 
- A search function so you can find the brands of a particular product that are Australian made.
- Competitions
- Links to great Australian Companies

Aus Food News
- Food News from Australia and around the world
- News on manufacturing in Australia

Dick Smith Foods
- Products and stockists
- Recipes
- Dicks Blog
- News about food issues that affect Australia

4 comments:

  1. Labelling in Australia drives me nuts!
    I will certainly be doing the survey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more Bruise. I have done the survey and sent it, It will be interesting to see if any changes are made.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment