Monday 27 July 2015

The Life Of A Adult University Student

If you asked me to describe how I have felt since starting university at the start of this month I would use words like overwhelmed, nervous, stressed, time poor and brain strain.  However I would also use word like engaged, determined, excited, enthusiastic and challenged.  There are both positives and negatives to working 30 hours a week, studying 30 hours a week as well as trying to keep momentum behind our plans to move to NZ next year.

All in all I am really loving studying and it feels so good to be really stretching my brain and learning new information and skills.  I am so glad that I decided to start working towards a new career even though I am in my late 30's and have not studied for over 15 years.

I have set myself up on the dinning table  and Jessie is my little study buddy and loves to lie on the floor beside me when I study. 

I have found that getting to sleep at night is more difficult than it should be and when I close my eyes I have a thousand things running through my head and it is difficult to put them aside.  I think I am going to have to put into practice some new sleep strategies.

I am making full use of our 10 seater dinning table
I am so glad I have a good stockpile of meals in the freezer because not having to cook every day of the week is a real blessing.  I have also been making meals that we are happy to eat for a few days in a row.  This week it was chicken pie using left over roast chicken peas and corn and it was so tasty.


Apologies for the lack of post lately but I am just trying to get my time management skills more finely tuned to create more free time for all the "Fun Stuff".

Do you have any good tips for getting to sleep with a busy brain?

9 comments:

  1. Golly, just reading your schedule made me tired! I do admire you for going back to school. Is there a way that you can do a little bit of physical exercise in the evening? I find that makes me sleep better, and it sounds as though you are hitting the books hard, so getting a lot of mental exercise. Even a yoga DVD might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I studied as a mature student but didnt have any problems falling asleep studying economics after a full work day. Pick your most boring text book. It should only take a few pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip Lynda but I am using ebooks so looking at a screen just before bed it not ideal. But I am sure I can find other boring books to read.

      Delete
  3. I go to bed at the same time every night and put the radio on BBC where it's all talk, it lulls me to sleep in no time lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly that sounds like an idea and something I have not yet tried.

      Delete
  4. Great to hear that you're enjoying it :) Meditation and LISTS help me to get all the thoughts out of my head before bed... alternatively, I like Lynda's idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz I am a great list maker so that helps and I am trying to spend some time crocheting before bed each night.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Công ty vận chuyển hàng nước ngoài FadoExpress hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi mỹ, gửi hàng đi úcgửi hàng đi đài loan uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment