Last year I planted out:
Wax Jambu (Syzygium jambolana)
|Wurtz Avocado |
In the background: Wax Jambu (left) and Red Mulberry (right)
Having lived in the house for only 8 months at the time of planting and moving in at the end of an extended period of drought we were unaware of exactly how water logged our soil could become. We have good top soil but clay underneath about 20 cm down.
So drastic action had to be taken or it was plants down the gurgler.
I made the decision that we had to dig up some of the plants and replant them in large mounds to create much better drainage.
The Wax Jambu (Syzygium jambolana) is a Lillypilly that has hot pink pear shaped fruit that look like they are made of wax and and it is doing ok so we have left it alone along with the Mulberries that also seem to be doing fine despite the wet feet. They have gotten some new mulch and a foliar feed of seaweed solution and will be getting a feed of blood and bone and they also need some more mulch.
|Mulberries Red at the front and White in the background|
So we left the lemon alone and just added some compost mixed with river sand and added mulch then watered in with a seaweed solution.
The Blood Orange and the Kaffir Lime were dug up and replanted into large mounds of compost, river sand and good soil then mulched. I have ordered a lime from Diggers to add to our citrus collection and when it arrives it will get the same treatment.
|Citrus (front to back Blood Orange, Kaffir Lime and Lemon)|
|The lone Blueberry bush|
Over time I will be working on making to mounds wider but at the same height to give the roots plenty of well drained soil to grow into, but for now it's a start.