Friday 3 February 2012

Slow Living 2012 Month 1

I am linking up with Christine for this post so head over to her blog to check it out.

Generally I don't set any resolutions until February giving myself time to get over the Christmas buzz and put some thought into what it is that I want to achieve.
This year the 1 solid resolution I have made is that I will do the the $21 Challenge one week each month until the end of the year.  In addition to this I would like to:
Garden more
Cook more
Preserve more
Save more
Craft more
And generally lead a more fulfilling life.

So how did January go?

Nourish:  I made sourdough bread most weekends and because we live in the country take out is not really and option so pretty much everything we ate was made at home and from scratch.

Prepare (stockpile & preserve):  This month I broke out the preserver and bottled Plums and Nectarines, Tomato's and Bread and Butter Pickles.  I also made some home made Lemon Cordial.

Reduce:  Rather than buying new preserving bottles I hunted second hand stores and picked up a bargain.

Create:  This month I made a gift for my best friend but more about that in another post.

Green:  Just like Christine I have been making my own laundry liquid and so far I am happy with the results.

Grow:  Cucumbers galore other than that not a lot was harvested but more seeds were planted including Rosella's, Capsicums, more Cucumbers as well as Pumpkins and the Berry Patch was planted out.

Discover:  At the Lifeline Book fest I picked up a number of second hand books to loose myself in.

Enhance Community:  I am currently working on a number of community groups including SCRAM a anti gravel and sand mine fight in my community and I am part of a group organising Harmony Day celebrations for our community.

Enjoy Life:  In January I took the step of requesting to cut back my work hours by 4 hours a week making me a part time employee.  When these new hours start I plan to use this time to get more out of life.

So that's what happened in month 1 and I am looking forward to seeing how I progress during the year.

5 comments:

  1. Such fun you're joining in, Fiona! I think it must be the Year of the Cucumber, they seem to be the only thing really chugging along here at the moment! Have a great month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading through your list Fiona...wish i was as dedicated to write mine down!
    Congrats on becoming part time..i hope you enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona, loving the blog, im much the same trying to live a simpler life but in a modern world so this resonated with me. I'll be dropping by again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have achieved a lot in just one month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me about Bread and Butter Pickles. I have a few cucumbers that need using up and I LOVE bread and butter pickles. Thank you :-)

    and well done on cutting back your work hours. I only work 4 days a week and love my one 'chore' day. On that one day I do fun sruff like preserve or create.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment