Monday 4 March 2013

Pickled Jalapeños

For a while now Hubby has been requesting that I make another batch or pickled jalapeños.  He loves them on pizza, in sandwiches in almost any thing.  So this afternoon I made up a few jars.
I make up a pickling liquid pour it over the sliced raw jalapeños then put the jars in a water bath to seal them.  The water bath is not essential but means you can store unopened jars in the pantry (for up to 12 months maybe longer) instead of the fridge (for up to 2 months).
Pickled Jalapeños

650gm Jalapeños
2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Cups Water
2 Tbl Peppercorns
4 Bay Leaves
4 Cloves of Garlic peeled and cut in half
4 Tbl Salt
4 Tbl Corriander Seeds
2 Tbl Sugar

Place all ingredients except the Jalapeños in a saucepan and bring to the boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  While this is happening slice your Jalapeños and place in sterilised jars.  Pour over the hot pickling liquid and seal.
At this stage you can either leave the jars as they are or process in a water bath.

My water bath method: I brought my jars to the the boil then held them there for 10 minutes.  I then turned off the heat and left them in the hot water for a further hour.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to use this recipe to preserve some of the multitude of jalapenos that we are growing. They are still green at the moment but it has been an unusually long, dry warm summer here in Northern Tasmania and they are going great guns. I want to make some home made chipotles in adobo sauce but we have more than enough to make this tasty recipe and even enough to ferment a batch for interests sake. Cheers for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh How do you make Chipotles? I sadly had to buy these as mine died due to all the rain we are having.

      Delete
  2. This is something I have never thought about doing but think I will now - my hubby absolutely loves jalpenos. Have a great week Fiona! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lovely and I love this idea. Hmmm thanks and great space you have!
    xx

    www.mindfullygreen.com.au

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment