Tuesday 2 December 2014

Buttery Orange Cake and Peanut Brownies

As mentioned in my Slow Living November post these are a couple o sweet treats I whipped up in the last week.  The peanut brownies recipe is a modified version of my Nans recipe and the orange cake is a new one that I tried.  
The orange cake is very buttery and it needed more orange flavour in my opinion so next time I will add all the orange rind from my oranges as well.  
The peanut brownies have less sugar (and I still think they could do with a bit less) that my Nans recipe, more cocoa and uses salted peanuts in their husks.  Both recipes are really easy and I made them both on the same day one after another to save having the oven on twice and so that I only had to soften 1 block of butter.



Buttery Orange Cake

250 gm Soft Butter
1 1/4 Cup Castor Sugar
4 Eggs
1 2/3 Self Raising Flour
3/4 Cup o Orange Juice
All the orange rind from your oranges
2 Tbs Boiling Water

Preheat you oven to 160 degrees and grease a 28 cm round spring form tin then line the base with baking paper.
Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy.  Add the eggs one at a time making sure they are well combined.  Fold in the sifted flour orange rind, orange juice and boiling water.
Pour the mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cooked.  Stand the cooked cake for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.


Peanut Brownies

250 gm soft butter
1 1/3 Cups Sugar
2 Eggs
3 Cups of Plain Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
A Pinch of Salt
4 Tablespoons Cocoa
1 1/2 Cups of Salted Peanuts (husks on)

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and beat well. sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.  Mix until fully combined then add the peanuts and mix until evenly distributed.
Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on a lined or greased baking tray.  Flatten with a fork then bake at 180 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you have returned to blogland but Fi, im on a diet!!!!! Enough with all the stuff i cant eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Lynda and I have another sweet treat post coming up soon too. I promise to include a recipe that you can enjoy in the next week.

      Delete
  2. Im on low carb, kind of a hybrid paleo diet with no grains. I am having dairy as im substituting the odd meal with a high protein shake. Its working.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment