Monday 11 July 2016

Chicken And Leek Pie

I love a good pie and Chicken and Leek is always a favourite in our house.  I normally make it after we have a roast chicken and have eaten roast for a few days.  My method is made up as I go along but follows a similar process every time hence the recipe below has no quantities.



Chicken and Leek Pie

Pick off all the meat from a leftover roast chicken and set aside.  Place all the bones in a pot and cover with water, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer to create a stock.  Drain the stock and season with salt and pepper.  Thicken with cornflour to make a thick gravy.
In the meantime dice and onion and a leek or two and cook until translucent.  Once the onion and leek mix is cooked I stir in some frozen peas and let the heat of the onion mix defrost them and in turn they cool down the onion mix.
Mix the chopped leftover chicken, the onion, leek and pea mix with the gravy and when cold add to a pie dish and top with pastry or go for a pastry top and bottom then bake.  Or as I did above and just create a pastry base pile the thick mix on and top with another piece of pastry pressing down the edges.

We love this served up with mashed potato and corn on the cob with lashings of butter.

What is your favourite pie to make at home?

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicous, Fiona. I have some clumping leeks in the garden and we had roast chicken last night so there are leftovers. Think I'll make me a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE chicken and leek pie at our house too.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment