Wednesday 6 June 2012

Slow Living - May


Linking up with Christine again this month although I am running a little behind but hey that happens sometimes.

Nourish -Make and bake as much as possible from scratch. Ditch over packaged, over processed convenience foods and opt for 'real' food instead.
There has been a lot of bread making again this month as well as biscuits and slow cooked meals.

Prepare - Stockpile and preserve. Freeze extra meals or excess garden/market produce. Bottle/can, dehydrate or pickle foods to enjoy when they are not in season.
Other than the failed batch of Lime Pickle there has not been any stockpiling going on but I did acquire a lot more preserving jars so that I can do more in the future.

Reduce - Cut down on household waste by re-using, re-purposing and repairing.
This month I have had to mend some of our flannelet sheets as they had worn through in a couple of spots. I think this will at least get us one more winter from them.


Green Start (or continue!) using homemade cleaners, body products and basic herbal remedies. The options are endless, the savings huge and the health benefits enormous.
Nothing new here just sticking at what we are already doing.
Grow plant/harvest. What's growing this month? What's being eaten from the garden?
I have been picking figs and raspberries this month and we have lots of lovely silverbeet and coriander.


Create - To fill a need or feed the soul. Create for ourselves or for others.
I have been knitting away and have now made three dishcloths.  Next project will be a scarf.

Discover Feed the mind by reading texts relevant to current interests.
I have just read "The healthy house cow" by Marja Fitzgerald.  Not that we are looking at getting a house cow any time soon, but it was on special and one day I would like to have one.

Enhance Community
I am the event director for the Kilcoy Classics on Wheels (a classic car and motorbike show) for the second year so there is a lot going on working towards the event in October.

Enjoy - Life! Embrace moments with friends and family. Marking the seasons, celebrations and new arrivals are all cause for enjoyment.
This month it was about learning new skills for me.  Cheese making and knitting.  It was also about working on my relationship with hubby and doing more together.

8 comments:

  1. Those figs look delicious.

    Every time I see someone post about berries, it makes me more anxious to get our berry garden together... a goal for this summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your raspberries look mouth watering and the plant is so healty, oh to be able to grown them here .....sign

    ReplyDelete
  3. A busy lady you are...that meal looks so yummy and wonderful for this cooler weather!Well done on the dishcloths! I have picked up the needles again and making a few simple doll blankets for the girls just to get some practice!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh nice, spending more time together is so important and too easy to neglect sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I thought I'd posted a comment. I wonder wher it went. Lucky I came back for a second look. You had a great month! Even the failed lime pickle wasn't a waste. Good on you for trying and we learn a little more every time we make something new!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your preserving jars and kit were gold, Fiona, pure gold! Great to read your news, have a lovely month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like you have a really great back to basics life going on, and that slow cooker meal made my mouth instantly water and I'm really full at the moment! Beautiful figs too mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the previous commenter.. your stewpot made my mouth water! Busy month!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment