Tuesday 26 June 2012

Bi- Carb Cream Cleanser

Over the last 12 months we have been working our way through an array of cleaning products using them up but not replacing them.
For some reason the last owner of the house left behind all sorts of cleaning products plus we had the ones we brought with us.  We had  over 20 half bottles of all sorts of things that we would not normally purchase, but did not want to be wasteful and throw out.
I while ago we made the decision to switch to simple green cleaners that are cheap and easy to make at home.
The basis of most of these cleaners is Bi-Carb Soda and for $25 we purchased 25 kg bag that I blogged about way back here.
In the past I used to purchase gumption for use as a cream style cleaner.  I have also used Jiff  in the past but find the smell unpleasant.
So now I make a cream cleanser using 1 cup of Bi-Carb Soda, 1 tablespoon of Glycerine and just enough water to make a smooth paste.  And that's it.
It s slightly abrasive so don't use it on anything that will scratch.  We have a ceramic top stove and that is one of the places we do not use it.
The way I use it is to put some on a cloth and clean the area that I want then give the area a spray with white vinegar.  This activates the layer of Bi-Carb left behind by the paste and helps pick it up.
 
I also keep a shaker of Bi-Carb under the kitchen sink too, great to sprinkle where ever it is needed then spray with vinegar for a quick and easy clean.  The next thing I want to make is some citrus cleaner.
What do you use at your place?

5 comments:

  1. Oh so cool, we've been doing the same, using up cleaning products (i haven't bought one in years, my husband does it though, argh) as i blast everything with steam, works a treat.
    Just posted a bunch of bargain buys, we're doing the same as you, switching city for country life, for a simple family focus with our 4 athletic children, so they can run free & have a tonne of animals. We're in Canberra, but my husband lives in Brisbane (Army) so i'm doing the hard yards & loving it. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Posie that must be hard having your hubby so far away. I will pop over for a look.

      Delete
  2. Bi carb is amazing. I have been buying it by the kilo rather than in 25kg lots. I just don't have the space to store it. I use it everywhere: sink, pots, toilet, shower, my own hair...
    I have another homemade concoction brewing at the moment. Planning to write about it later in the week.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona I love Bi-carb but I didn't know you could buy it in bulk! It's been at the back of my mind for ages because we go through so much of it, but I'll definitely be looking into it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do a sprinkle with bi-carb and then vinegar after. I've never thought of making a cleanser with glycerine though. Might give that a go. Actually I put a few drops of eucylyptus oil in with my vinegar spray because I read mice hate the smell. But unfortunately it hasn't worked!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment