Monday 19 May 2014

The Weekend Kitchen

We had quite a busy weekend and got a lot of little jobs done.  I also spent a few hours in the kitchen with good results.

The first thing I had to get done was a worming mash for the chickens and I will post the recipe tomorrow.

Preparing the worming mash

Then I needed to think about how I was going to deal with some produce given to me by a neighbor.  The gave me a whole lot of lovely lemons from their place and half of the ox heart tomatoes that another of our neighbors had given them.
The tomatoes have been picked green to prevent them getting stung by insects and going bad but after just 3 days a few of them have started to turn red.  I am not sure what I am going to do with them.  I thought pickle but there is already a good stock of pickle in our pantry.
Ideas anyone?

My lovely gifted produce

I used some of the lemons to make preserved lemons and then because I had lemon juice left over I made some lemon sago.

I poured my lemon sago into takeaway containers as they are
easy to store in the fridge.

Lemon Sago

1 Cup Sago 
3 Cups Water
Juice and Zest of 2 large Lemons
2 TBS Golden Syrup
1/3 Cup Sugar

Soak the sago in the water in a large saucepan for 30 minutes then add the remainder of the ingredients and bring to the boil.  Reduce to a simmer, stirring for 10 minutes until the sago is soft and the mix has thickened.
Pour into individual bowls and chill until set.




Finally in a bid to clean out my freezer I used up some frozen cherries that I think have been in there since the summer of 2012/13.  I turned them into cherry chutney so the fact they have been frozen all that time will not make any difference.



What did you get up to in the kitchen over the weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Lemon sago? I'm not familiar with that but it sounds lovely! Definitely interested in the worming mash recipe! As for the green tomatoes, I would slice them and can them to make fried green tomatoes during the winter. It's a Southern American treat! My recipe is here.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment