Friday 5 April 2013

Slow Living March 2013


Linking up with Christine again this month.  I am really glad that she is hosting this again this year it is great to hear what everyone is up to.

Nourish -Make and bake as much as possible from scratch. Ditch over packaged, over processed convenience foods and opt for 'real' food instead.
There has been some lovely home made meals this month and we have enjoyed our first hearty meal from the  slow cooker.  Over Easter I made some cross-less buns, I posted the recipe I use last Easter and I am always happy with the result.  I make these during the year as well and they always go down a treat.

Prepare - Stockpile and preserve. Freeze extra meals or excess garden/market produce. Bottle/can, dehydrate or pickle foods to enjoy when they are not in season.
I have been freezing the last of the capsicums and the late planting of purple climbing beans I put in are coming on nicely so hopefully there will be some of those to put into the freezer in the future.

Reduce - Cut down on household waste by re-using, re-purposing and repairing.
Nothing very exciting happening on this front.

Green Start (or continue!) using homemade cleaners, body products and basic herbal remedies. The options are endless, the savings huge and the health benefits enormous.
I made up a big batch of laundry liquid over the Easter weekend.
I keep forgetting to post the recipe I use but it is pretty simple:

Laundry Liquid

4 litres of water
3 Cups Lux Soap Flakes
2 Cups Washing Soda (the powder not the crystals)
1 Cup Borax

Heat together in a stock pot until it is all dissolved   Then add another 6 litres of cold water blending with a stick blender as you go.  I then 3/4 fill about 4 old plastic bottles with the mix and tip the rest into a bucket with a lid.  You need to only fill the bottles 3/4 of the way as they need a good shake before using.  I use 1/2 a cup per load and have been very happy with the results.

Grow plant/harvest. What's growing this month? What's being eaten from the garden?
I have a late run of climbing beans and cucumbers coming along and the rosellas are ready for harvesting.

We also have a self seeded Jap pumpkin that is set on world domination.  It is taking over and my comfrey has been lost below but hope fully we will get some pumpkins as my QLD Blue vine only produces one and it is a very sad looking pumpkin at that.
Jap pumpking taking over
Sad looking QLD Blue Pumpkin
Create - To fill a need or feed the soul. Create for ourselves or for others.
I am still practising my knitting and have been doing lots of scrap booking and card making.

Discover Feed the mind by reading texts relevant to current interests.
I am still reading lots of books.  I am currently reading  "The casual vacancy" by JK Rowling and about 3 other books as well.

Enhance Community
Planning for this years Classic Car Show is well under way again and will be keeping me busy for many months to come.  I am also in charge of organising all of the stall holders for the festival so it is a huge job.  This will be our third year and hopefully even more successful that the last two.

Enjoy - Life! Embrace moments with friends and family. Marking the seasons, celebrations and new arrivals are all cause for enjoyment.
Well we had a great time in Melbourne and over Easter caught up with friends so we have been really blessed this month.

What have you been up to?

9 comments:

  1. Great job! We also had 2 self sown pumpkin (and my mum had the same) I think ours was a qld blue though :D They did really well and got 8 pumpkins out of it :D Can I ask what the red fruit? is in your header. It looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nathalie It is called a Rosella (wild Hibiscus)and I am going to harvest this years crop on the weekend so stay tuned. Also check out the side bar for the posts I have done on them.

      Delete
    2. Awesome thanks! I've never heard of them before! Looking forward to reading about your harvest!

      Delete
  2. Oh I am glad your rosella have flowered - mine look very sad - there was some kind of bug infestation. I sprayed with garlic chili but maybe not in time, since I was away. I prefer jap pumpkin to queensland blue - hope you get a good harvest - it looks like a healthy vine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great month and your crossless buns look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy busy girl, and a trip in the middle. Your buns look lovely (or is that too personal - LOL). I am so envious of your preserves. I dream of opening up my pantry and seeing the top shelves full of pasata, tomato sauce,bottled peaches and pears etc. Just a myriad of colours. Problem is, i wouldnt want to spoil the picture - Food Art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading these updates of yours! It really makes me think about what I am doing too. We have a few kent pumpkins taking over nicely at the moment although all the rain seems to have made a few mushy before their time. They do seem to go for domination don't they!
    Love your hot cross buns and all those jars of goodness...you have been so busy...well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much going on at your place - very impressive. You've been really busy. Those jars full of goodness are amazing. I keep putting off making my own laundry powder as I wonder how it will go with clothes from my dirt-loving boys. I might just get on with it and give it a go! Have a great weekend! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Lynda, I was thinking, "Nice buns!" I love the picture of the jars. Preserved food looks so homely.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment