Monday 30 May 2016

Soup Season Starts - Pumpkin And Leek Soup

I love the cool season and all of the warming nourishing food that goes with it. Our summer just went on and on and to be honest I was a bit over salad so I am glad to be moving on to comfort food.

I love the simple, humble, nourishing and tasty nature of soup and I have kicked off soup season with a thick and tasty example, pumpkin and leek.


Pumpkin and Leek Soup

1 kg of Pumpkin
1 Leek
2 Brown Onions
1 Sweet Potato
1 litre of Chicken stock
4 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1 tsp Ground Cumin
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Peel and dice your pumpkin and sweet potato and place in a roasting tray along with the peeled garlic cloves.  Drizzle with oil and give it a good stir before placing in a 200 degree oven and roasting till they are cooked and starting to brown around the edges.
In the mean time halve and finely slice your leeks and dice your onion and cook over a low heat with a bit of oil and a pinch of salt.  Cook until they are soft and translucent and turning a bit mushy then add the coriander and cumin and cook for 1 minute before adding your stock and roasted veggies.
Cook for 5 minutes, season to taste then blend with a stick blender then cook for a further 5 minutes.
Add some water if you need to thin it or leave it thick.

Serve with a drizzle of cream and serve with hot buttered toast.

Have you started soup season yet?  What are you cooking?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes it was and I have some in the freezer for later.

      Delete
  2. Yum, I'm going to make that....I normally make my pumpkin soup just with pumpkin and onion and not roasting them....this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy roasting brings out the sweetness of the veg and I think makes the difference. If you are not ready to make soup but have the oven on you can roast it ahead of time and freeze it.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment