Thursday 31 May 2012

Beef Bourguignonne

At this time of the year we start to lean towards hearty warming dishes that we would not dream of serving up in a hot Queensland summer.
I make this in my slow cooker and when I but the mushrooms I find the smallest ones I can that are still fully closed and firm.

4 Tbs Flour                              1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Paprika                       1/2 Tsp Pepper
1kg Stewing Steak                   2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
300gm Mushrooms                  3 Rashers of Bacon diced
2 Carrots                                 12 Small Onions (pickling size) or 2 diced Onions
1/2 C Boiling Water                 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 C Red Wine                          2 Beef Stock Cubes
1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme               1 Bay Leaf
2 Tbs Butter

Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika in a bowl.  Dice Beef and dredge in flour mix.
Heat oil in a heavy based pan and add beef 1/3 at a time browning well then transferring to your slow cooker.
Brown diced bacon in the same pan and then transfer to your slow cooker.
As soon as you have removed the bacon de-glaze the pan with the boiling water making sure you get all of the meat sugars on the bottom of the pan.
Then add the stock cubes and dissolve before adding the tomato paste then tip it all into the slow cooker.
Dice carrots and add to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients except the butter.
Cook on low.
In my slow cooker I cook it for 6 hours but as every slow cooker is different the times may differ so refer to your user guide for the time on a similar beef dish.
Just before serving stir through the butter





2 comments:

  1. that looks yummy - I love cooking stews in the slow cooker. Browning the meat first gives it that extra flavor dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, this is one of my favourite recipes too. Its been a while since ive made it might have to whip some up myself.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
Thanks for taking the time to comment